Basteroid Upsets Ducks
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Areal
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Rumor has it that Germany’s Sebastian Riedl (a.k.a. Basteroid) ruffled a few feathers of Upper Austria’s duck population during the production of his trace-fueled Areal debut, Upsets Ducks. Apparently, the beaked ones weren’t down with flocking to the beat of Riedl’s ground-shattering mash of appegiated grooves, broken kicks, and pulsating robotic rhythms. After years spent unleashing remixes and singles, Riedl’s hunger for minimal techno, grimy electro-house, and trance saturates this album. From disco percussion and filth-flushed synths (“Attention: Upsets Ducks”) to acid-splattered modulation (“Jacktales”) and funked-out escapades (“Backstage Ass”), Upsets Ducks is an enterprising display of a sound collagist lost within his own beat factory.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player