- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: Warp
With a collective history in bands like Don Caballero, Helmet, and Lynx, the members of Battles have ample experience navigating the angular, often repetitive cadences that identify quality, nearly unclassifiable rock music. On Mirrored, their first full-length LP for Warp, the quartet manages to further frustrate the categorically obsessed, crafting an otherworldly amalgam of strident math rock and digital experimentalism. The epic "Tonto"-perhaps the album's most immaculate moment-shows the foursome in perfect lockstep, anchored by John Stanier's precision drumming and Ian Williams' melodic guitar loops. It, like the remainder of Mirrored, represents accessible-yet-challenging music in its most admirable form-smart, interesting, always unexpected, and occasionally divisive.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player