- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: Warp
With a collective history in bands like Don Caballero, Helmet, and Lynx, the members of Battles have ample experience navigating the angular, often repetitive cadences that identify quality, nearly unclassifiable rock music. On Mirrored, their first full-length LP for Warp, the quartet manages to further frustrate the categorically obsessed, crafting an otherworldly amalgam of strident math rock and digital experimentalism. The epic "Tonto"-perhaps the album's most immaculate moment-shows the foursome in perfect lockstep, anchored by John Stanier's precision drumming and Ian Williams' melodic guitar loops. It, like the remainder of Mirrored, represents accessible-yet-challenging music in its most admirable form-smart, interesting, always unexpected, and occasionally divisive.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player