- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Thirsty Ear
On his solo albums for Warp, former Anti-Pop Consortium member Beans has had dubious success, his IDM-driven production often more interesting than his intermittent rhyme blasts. Only, a concept collabo with bassist William Parker and percussionist Hamid Drake, takes experimentation into the stratosphere. Filtering Beans' original ideas through their free-jazz and improv artistry, Parker and Drake produce spare, thoughtful works, but when they're clumsily processed by Beans, they go astray. Violin scrapes, skittering rim shots, and synth warbles are punctuated by lines like "I'm diarrhea of the mouth." True beatniks would approve, but will they bother to listen?"
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player