The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Jagjaguwar
If you come to The Besnard Lakes by way of their earlier homespun, lo-fi shoegaze suites, the eyebrow-lifting 45 minutes of Are the Dark Horse-with its incessant falsetto, Spacemen 3 sonics, and Beach Boys-ian production-is nothing short of shocking. Squealing synthesizers, cascading crescendos of guitars, sappy string sections, and infinite layers of vocals manage to look both forward and back by combining the spooky ethereality of '50s rock and the baggily loved-up psychedelia of the '90s. Always keep your eye on the dark horse.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player