The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Jagjaguwar
If you come to The Besnard Lakes by way of their earlier homespun, lo-fi shoegaze suites, the eyebrow-lifting 45 minutes of Are the Dark Horse-with its incessant falsetto, Spacemen 3 sonics, and Beach Boys-ian production-is nothing short of shocking. Squealing synthesizers, cascading crescendos of guitars, sappy string sections, and infinite layers of vocals manage to look both forward and back by combining the spooky ethereality of '50s rock and the baggily loved-up psychedelia of the '90s. Always keep your eye on the dark horse.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player