Beta Band Heroes To Zeroes
- Words: Alexis Georgopoulos
- Label: Astralwerks
If John Cusack's bitter record clerk in High Fidelity slammed the door on the Beta Band's best-underground-secret status in one cynical swoop, the group doesn't seem to care. They've continued to hone their Anglo-psychedelic craft and now, as duty calls, they aren't afraid to lean a bit harder into the mainstream. This time around, their lancet melodies and post-baggyisms are pointedly aimed at the powers of disinformation, political deceit and modern tyranny and it appears these Scots could do with working out a bit more of that aggression in their music. The fact is, the void between radio pop and the judgmental underground is a precarious place to locate oneself and as a result Heroes to Zeroes precariously toes the line between good and unmemorable.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
XLR8R Downloads Player