Bibio Hand Cranked
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Mush
Stephen "Bibio" Wilkinson can make any acoustic guitar sound mystical and enchanted just by recording it on a broken tape deck. On Fi, his poorly magnetized recordings of pastoral folk melodies were oddly beautiful in their frailty. Hand Cranked continues with that no-fi studio method, but this time he fleshes out his songs. "Cherry Go Round" is a dizzying play of guitar loops, while the foggy, shoegazer harmonies of "Black Country Blue" are brilliantly evanescent. Several songs wouldn't be memorable if it weren't for their ancient sound quality. But in our age of bloodless pop productions, Wilkinson is still welcome.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player