Bike For Three! More Heart Than Brains
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Anticon
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
By most hip-hop labels' standards, this would be an adventurous album—but this is Anticon, where boundary pushing is the norm. Bike for Three! is a long-distance collaboration between Toronto-based rapper Buck 65 and Belgian beatmaker Joëlle Phuong Minh Lê (a.k.a. Greetings From Tuscan), an unlikely pairing who never actually met while making More Heart Than Brains. There's a strong melodic element here, marked by a lush romantic undercurrent, which suits Buck 65's narrative lyrics. “Always I Will Miss You. Always You” stings beautifully. Unfortunately, many of the tracks here never quite gel, with too many ultimately feeling facile and predictable, leaving the project more academically interesting than musically so. It's all perfectly pleasant, but somehow it feels like it could have been much more.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player