Bim Sherman Tribulation: Down in Jamdown 1974 to 1979
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Pressure Sounds
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
Silky-voiced roots crooner Bim Sherman is best known for his ‘80s offerings with Adrian Sherwood’s On-U Sound, which endeared him to punk, new wave, and progressive dub fans. His buttery falsetto isn’t as recognizable to reggae aficionados outside the U.K., which is a shame. Pressure Sounds aims to correct this oversight with Tribulation, a 23-track collection of Sherman’s Jamaican recordings, which rightfully places Bim alongside Gregory Isaacs and Dennis Brown as a classic reggae stylist, equally competent at sufferers’ anthems and lovers’ rock. Stellar versions of “Love Forever,” “Ital West,” and “Golden Locks” are just some of the highlights on this contender for roots reissue of the year.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player