Bim Sherman Tribulation: Down in Jamdown 1974 to 1979
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Pressure Sounds
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
Silky-voiced roots crooner Bim Sherman is best known for his ‘80s offerings with Adrian Sherwood’s On-U Sound, which endeared him to punk, new wave, and progressive dub fans. His buttery falsetto isn’t as recognizable to reggae aficionados outside the U.K., which is a shame. Pressure Sounds aims to correct this oversight with Tribulation, a 23-track collection of Sherman’s Jamaican recordings, which rightfully places Bim alongside Gregory Isaacs and Dennis Brown as a classic reggae stylist, equally competent at sufferers’ anthems and lovers’ rock. Stellar versions of “Love Forever,” “Ital West,” and “Golden Locks” are just some of the highlights on this contender for roots reissue of the year.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player