Bing Ji Ling June Degrees in December
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: To the Curb
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Urban escapist Bing Ji Ling resides in New York, but his music sounds like it was made on a tropical island somewhere in the South Pacific. As singer-songwriter, producer, and musician, Bing wears a lot of hats, and it’s to his credit that his sound nods to vintage soul without going the full-on retro route. June Degrees in December revels in upbeat, cheery tunes without languishing in commercial clichés. The biggest problem with this album, however, is that at five songs, it’s just too short. Just when you’ve gotten acclimated to Bing’s candy-coated groove, the disc ends, forcing an unwelcome return to reality.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player