Bird Show Green Inferno
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Kranky
Bird Show is led by Ben Vida of Town & Country, a Chicago post-folk combo who play Americanazak, wholesome sonic celery NPR often uses for segment segues. Green Inferno is vastly more interesting. Vida has absorbed musics from Asia and Africa and filtered them into intense, mesmerizing compositions. "All Afternoon Part #1" immediately immerses you in an otherworldly, tropical miasma of mbira and cornet, acting as a clarion call for arcane primitive rites. Like much of Inferno, it falls somewhere among Don Cherry‘s hypnotic world-jazz excursions, Terry Riley‘s soulful organ tones, and Jon Hassell‘s malarial ambience. Elsewhere, Vida slips in some opiated balladry among the ponderin‘-the-imponderable dronescapes.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player