The Black Ghosts The Black Ghosts
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: IAMSOUND
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
With indie-electro the sound of festivals everywhere, teaming up Simon Lord of Simian and big-beat veteran Theo Keating as The Black Ghosts almost can't miss. The Ghosts start strong: "Some Way Through This" floats Lord's wispy vocals over cheap, synthesized Southern bounce strings; "Any Way You Choose to Give" dips into jacking territory complete with sing-along chorus and woodblock. The structures are poppy verse-chorus-verse all set to 4/4 beats, but Lord's sweet voice hides surprisingly witty, bitter lyrics. Midtempo ballads slightly bog down the back half of the self-titled debut, but the handclap-and-bass workout "Face" closes out on a big flourish, repeating Lord's "face the music" mantra like practice for the big summer show.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player