The Black Ghosts The Black Ghosts
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: IAMSOUND
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
With indie-electro the sound of festivals everywhere, teaming up Simon Lord of Simian and big-beat veteran Theo Keating as The Black Ghosts almost can't miss. The Ghosts start strong: "Some Way Through This" floats Lord's wispy vocals over cheap, synthesized Southern bounce strings; "Any Way You Choose to Give" dips into jacking territory complete with sing-along chorus and woodblock. The structures are poppy verse-chorus-verse all set to 4/4 beats, but Lord's sweet voice hides surprisingly witty, bitter lyrics. Midtempo ballads slightly bog down the back half of the self-titled debut, but the handclap-and-bass workout "Face" closes out on a big flourish, repeating Lord's "face the music" mantra like practice for the big summer show.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player