The Black Ghosts The Black Ghosts
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: IAMSOUND
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
With indie-electro the sound of festivals everywhere, teaming up Simon Lord of Simian and big-beat veteran Theo Keating as The Black Ghosts almost can't miss. The Ghosts start strong: "Some Way Through This" floats Lord's wispy vocals over cheap, synthesized Southern bounce strings; "Any Way You Choose to Give" dips into jacking territory complete with sing-along chorus and woodblock. The structures are poppy verse-chorus-verse all set to 4/4 beats, but Lord's sweet voice hides surprisingly witty, bitter lyrics. Midtempo ballads slightly bog down the back half of the self-titled debut, but the handclap-and-bass workout "Face" closes out on a big flourish, repeating Lord's "face the music" mantra like practice for the big summer show.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player