Black Kids Partie Traumatic
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Columbia
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
This Florida five-piece has gotten so much press it's hard to remember that this is their debut album. Their post-racial/hipster/whatever name doesn't hurt, either–it's like catnip for critics trying to figure out What These Things Mean. They're so hyped that it's almost easy to forget their music–a pity, because they make brash, fun retro-synth rock/pop that's sweetly sexy. Their range is a little narrow, but there's lots good here anyway: the chant-dance title track, the ’80s-ish electronics on “Listen to Your Body Tonight” the rock/R&B of “Hurricane Jane,” and, of course, “I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance.” Who cares what it means? Just dance already.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player