Black Kids Partie Traumatic
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Columbia
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
This Florida five-piece has gotten so much press it's hard to remember that this is their debut album. Their post-racial/hipster/whatever name doesn't hurt, either–it's like catnip for critics trying to figure out What These Things Mean. They're so hyped that it's almost easy to forget their music–a pity, because they make brash, fun retro-synth rock/pop that's sweetly sexy. Their range is a little narrow, but there's lots good here anyway: the chant-dance title track, the ’80s-ish electronics on “Listen to Your Body Tonight” the rock/R&B of “Hurricane Jane,” and, of course, “I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance.” Who cares what it means? Just dance already.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player