Black Kids Partie Traumatic
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Columbia
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
This Florida five-piece has gotten so much press it's hard to remember that this is their debut album. Their post-racial/hipster/whatever name doesn't hurt, either–it's like catnip for critics trying to figure out What These Things Mean. They're so hyped that it's almost easy to forget their music–a pity, because they make brash, fun retro-synth rock/pop that's sweetly sexy. Their range is a little narrow, but there's lots good here anyway: the chant-dance title track, the ’80s-ish electronics on “Listen to Your Body Tonight” the rock/R&B of “Hurricane Jane,” and, of course, “I'm Not Going to Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance.” Who cares what it means? Just dance already.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player