The Black Neon Arts & Crafts
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Memphis Industries-Arts & Crafts
English label Memphis Industries has built a reputation for cavity-causing pop, be it the spazzed-out, sample-heavy cheerleading of The Go! Team or the matching skirts and girl-group sounds of The Pipettes. The Black Neon, the project of ‘stache-rocking solo artist Steve Webster, hits a chronological midpoint between its labelmates, aping aspects of the droning, psychedelic music of the ‘70s and ‘80s-like a jam session between Neu! and Brian Wilson. Webster builds repetitive, shimmering lines out of science filmstrip-style synths while harmonies of a more psychedelic persuasion creep throughout the tightly constructed album.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player