Blackbelt Andersen Blackbelt Andersen
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Full Pupp
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Maybe there’s something in the water, because the list of top-flight disco producers coming out of Norway just keeps on growing—Lindstrøm, Prins Thomas, Todd Terje, and now, Blackbelt Andersen. His self-titled first outing is a sprawling affair, 70-plus minutes of smoothly crafted cosmic disco with healthy nods to classic Detroit techno and Chicago acid house. From the arpeggiated basslines of “Søndag” to the acid stabs of “Mamma” to the dense, washed-out keys of “November,” Blackbelt Andersen is deliberate without being boring, and danceable without being obvious. I hate to tag things with the dreaded “M” word (mature), but this is one incredibly self-assured debut album.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player