Blitzen Trapper Furr
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: Sub Pop
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Not one minute into this Portland experimental rock quintet‘s fourth album, and first for the chameleonic Sub Pop, is a guitar solo that would do Lynyrd Skynyrd proud. On Furr, the celestial, electronic embellishments noticed in Blitzen Trapper's previous work are mostly buried beneath the power chords, flutes, nature sounds, harmonicas, rickety old pianos, and whatever else Blitzen is banging it out on. Lead member Eric Earley proudly waves his Northwest freak flag as a producer, but as a lyricist he succeeds beyond most in indie rock. He becomes a storyteller, describing the whispering wind and the howling of wolves by moon- or firelight.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player