Bloc Party Bloc Party
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Dim Mak
Pedigreed by Glaswegian pogo-poppers du jour Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party has quickly ascended by deftly remaining self-aware of and accessible through the South London band's influences. This six-track EP collects the mid-20's quartet's first singles, "Banquet/Staying Fat" and "She's Hearing Voices," presently chronologically backwards. This is lanky music, scrawls of angular, twitchingly plucked guitars, jags of prickly, tightly wound fret flurries buoyed by gelatinous basslines and charging drums. While the lineage of A Certain Ratio, Gang of Four, the Fall and the Cure is apparent, the skittish flails are additionally touched by Britpop yelp. Bloc Party acknowledges the remaining circumference of its influences with the sequenced clap and synth squiggles of a "Banquet" remix. Bloc rockin'.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player