Blue Sky Black Death Late Night Cinema
- Words: Zoneil Maharaj
- Label: Babygrande
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
On their fourth full-length and first completely instrumental album, the production duo of Kingston and Young God (a.k.a. Blue Sky Black Death) employs a variety of sounds to craft an orchestral masterpiece. (Think Beethoven with a sampler and drum machine.) The six-minute opening track, “The Era When We Sang,” opens with rapid keys, atmospheric percussion, and a soulful vocal sample before a breakdown of soft strings, pianos, and a light flourish of horns takes over. It sets the pace for what follows: a dark yet beautiful soundscape with heavy classical overtones and lush drops that commands listeners’ attention, navigating us through various moods. Late Night Cinema may be categorized as “hip-hop,” but it’s better suited for the opera hall than your trunk.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player