Blue States First Steps Into...
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Memphis Industries
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Danny Boyle took the creepy yet chilled electro-pop of Blue States widescreen when he tacked their "Season Song" onto the end of his destabilizing horror classic 28 Days Later. States architect Andy Dragazis noticed: "First Steps...Last Stand," the second song on his one-man band's latest release, sounds like that song's instrumental twin. The lesson being: Don't fuck with the streak. Dragazis hasn't, although his fourth album is a bit heavy on the high end, filled with crystalline structures like "Gaining Time" and "Allies." First Steps Into... could use some darker moments besides the Ligeti-like "100s and 1000s." (You know, the kind that got Boyle high.) Meanwhile, the streak for successful, if piercing dream-tracking continues.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player