Blue States First Steps Into...
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: Memphis Industries
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Danny Boyle took the creepy yet chilled electro-pop of Blue States widescreen when he tacked their "Season Song" onto the end of his destabilizing horror classic 28 Days Later. States architect Andy Dragazis noticed: "First Steps...Last Stand," the second song on his one-man band's latest release, sounds like that song's instrumental twin. The lesson being: Don't fuck with the streak. Dragazis hasn't, although his fourth album is a bit heavy on the high end, filled with crystalline structures like "Gaining Time" and "Allies." First Steps Into... could use some darker moments besides the Ligeti-like "100s and 1000s." (You know, the kind that got Boyle high.) Meanwhile, the streak for successful, if piercing dream-tracking continues.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsStream Another New Track from Four Tet's Upcoming Percussions 12"s
- Feature20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- NewsMatthewdavid Announces New LP for Brainfeeder, Shares Title Track
- NewsWatch a Tripped-Out Video from Thug Entrancer
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player