- Words: Brock Phillips
- Label: Skam
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Darrell Fitton moves in mysterious ways-be it his little-known role as co-producer of Autechre's Incunabula, his contribution to Warp's seminal Artificial Intelligence series, or the constellation of releases as Bola, Fitton has been on the vanguard of experimental electronics since the mid-1990s. And while the horizons of that particular scene may have narrowed considerably in the decade since, Fitton's vision is as broad as ever on Kroungrine, his fourth proper full-length. Amniotic software squelches meld with jazz-inflected bass riffs, detuned synth melodies, and roughshod breakbeats. Fitton is perhaps at his best when he is most contemplative, though: The album's closer, "Diamortem," is a 15-minute opus that's one part Tangerine Dream, one part contemporary classical.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player