Bonde Do Role With Lasers
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Domino
Edu K's baile funk-rock anthem, "Popozuda Rock 'n' Roll," must be one of the touchstone songs of the young century. And to prove it, here's the Diplo-produced album by Bonde Do Role, a trio of hipsters from the Brazilian town of Curitiba: An entire album of funk laced with the kinds of gritty guitars and gang-bang vocals that made Edu K famous. But there's more to Bonde Do Role than just baile's rolling rhythms and call-and-response chants. New-wave synth stabs and boppy vocals, dance-punk, and indie influences abound-there's something almost studied about Bonde's baile that makes With Lasers simultaneously deeper and, perhaps, less cathartic than the anonymous ghetto funk we've fallen for.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player