Bonde Do Role With Lasers
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Domino
Edu K's baile funk-rock anthem, "Popozuda Rock 'n' Roll," must be one of the touchstone songs of the young century. And to prove it, here's the Diplo-produced album by Bonde Do Role, a trio of hipsters from the Brazilian town of Curitiba: An entire album of funk laced with the kinds of gritty guitars and gang-bang vocals that made Edu K famous. But there's more to Bonde Do Role than just baile's rolling rhythms and call-and-response chants. New-wave synth stabs and boppy vocals, dance-punk, and indie influences abound-there's something almost studied about Bonde's baile that makes With Lasers simultaneously deeper and, perhaps, less cathartic than the anonymous ghetto funk we've fallen for.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player