Bong-Ra Soldaat van Oranje
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Sublight
Bong-Ra (a.k.a. Jason Kohnen) has been stunningly prolific in the last four years, and it's heartening for the breakcore sound that his musical star is still in ascent. Sublight, which has a knack for getting great full-lengths from the scene's best artists, has released Soldaat van Oranje, markedly more sonically diverse fare than Bong-Ra's last album on Ad Noiseam. Although his post-rave buzz-synths still lace the album, the amens don't kick in until track six; and while the vibe is definitely trademark-heavy, it's now dark with depth, crackling around industrial dancehall and hip-hop as well as manic jungle. He definitely hasn't lost his Bikini Bandits party side, but the bell tones and the odd, grinding stutter-step of "Laatste Oordeel," Soldaat's closer, point him in yet another direction, a teaser for his forthcoming Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble project.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player