Booka Shade: Booka Shade: DJ-Kicks
- Words: Rachel Shimp
- Label: !K7
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
When artists like Erlend Øye are given a crack at this series of sonic time capsules, unexpected delights occur, as they do on this volume from golden boys Booka Shade. Like Øye, they’re not DJs, and this glimpse into their personal musical world is what you’d expect, but better: disco/electro influences Cerrone and Yazoo butt against modern soundalikes like Lopazz, Booka exclusives like “Numbers,” and oddly brilliant pairings like John Carpenter’s “Arrival at the Library” layered with Mlle Caro and Franck Garcia’s fantastic “Far Away.” Listen close for Booka rhythm tracks peeking out here and there. They’ll undoubtedly reappear on a future DJ-Kicks with tributes of their own.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player