Booka Shade The Sun and the Neon Light
- Words: Brandon Ivers
- Label: Get Physical
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
It’s almost too perfect that Berlin’s Booka Shade included a track called “Comacabana” on this latest outing–you could just as easily doze off to these jams as freak out. The album’s split personality has everything to do with the overall sound, which wraps every wash and click into a pleasant, straight-lined cleanliness. But rather than come off as overtly sterile, tracks like “Duke” don’t so much flaunt obsessive details as bask in thoughtful, warm craftsmanship. Unfortunately, the flipside to that approach is that sometimes The Sun verges into coffee-table territory, asserting a level of refinement that seems at odds with the (supposed) goal.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player