Box Studio 1
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Rune Grammofon
The quartet that makes up the avant-garde jazz outfit Box met for two days of recording in Stockholm with no music prepared beforehand, a recipe that could lead to brilliance or disaster… or something in between. The six tracks here were all improvised, and they have their shining moments, like at the 11-minute mark in “Untitled 9,” when anxious tremolos and a simmering rhythm section meld almost perfectly. But when a distorted guitar takes over later in the track, the psych-rock vibe saps the excitement. Four tracks are also oddly brief–all under five minutes–sometimes cutting short interesting explorations before they really take off. A mixed bag–but that’s part of improv jazz, too.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player