Brazilian Girls Brazilian Girls
- Words: Ken Micallef
- Label: Verve
A four-piece transcontinental band from Manhattan, Brazilian Girls references not only Brazil, but model-flaunting catwalks, fashionable Parisian shopping districts, German burlesque houses and deep down and dirty Copacabana sex shows. Theirs is generous, multi-faceted pop music that recalls the brainy zeitgeist of Talking Heads and UK trip-hop filtered through lush vocals and garish instrumentation. "Corner Store" dances on hazy brass and a funky New Orleans groove; "Pussy" drips with ska humidity and city smarts; "Lazy Lover" sounds like The Orb cooling it with Debussy. Ute Lemper eat your heart out.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Frank B "Chain of Fools"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player