Brendan Canning Broken Social Scene Presents: Brendan Canning Something For All of Us…
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Arts & Crafts
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
The Toronto collective Broken Social Scene has transformed itself into a franchise. Last fall, co-founder Kevin Drew released a solo album, Broken Social Scene Presents: Kevin Drew Spirit If… Now Drew’s partner, Brendan Canning, takes his own solo turn. Unlike Spirit If, though, Canning’s record reads like a sketch for a larger project. While “Hit the Wall” and “Possible Grenade” are a-list brooders–shot through with punchy bass, gauzy guitar, and Canning’s honeyed vocals–much of Something is strewn with discarded melodies and botched ideas. “Chameleon”’s slow burn is so quiet it sounds like a production mistake. Of course, the ramshackle BSS has always traded in mistakes. Canning’s music just needs to integrate them better–so it’s built to spill.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player