Brendan Canning Broken Social Scene Presents: Brendan Canning Something For All of Us…
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Arts & Crafts
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
The Toronto collective Broken Social Scene has transformed itself into a franchise. Last fall, co-founder Kevin Drew released a solo album, Broken Social Scene Presents: Kevin Drew Spirit If… Now Drew’s partner, Brendan Canning, takes his own solo turn. Unlike Spirit If, though, Canning’s record reads like a sketch for a larger project. While “Hit the Wall” and “Possible Grenade” are a-list brooders–shot through with punchy bass, gauzy guitar, and Canning’s honeyed vocals–much of Something is strewn with discarded melodies and botched ideas. “Chameleon”’s slow burn is so quiet it sounds like a production mistake. Of course, the ramshackle BSS has always traded in mistakes. Canning’s music just needs to integrate them better–so it’s built to spill.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player