Broadway Project In Finite
- Words: Christine Hsieh
- Label: Grand Central
Hardly anyone captures malaise and misanthropic tension quite as well as Dan Berridge. In Finite exceeds in cinematic scope and instrumental proficiency his deceptively dense 2003 album The Vessel, yet sheds a bit of the hazy anxiety and murky emotional underworld he so aptly depicted in his stunning 2001 debut Compassion. Less introspective and more worldly, Berridge‘s latest effort is a cleaner, more polished and, in some respects, more aggressive exploration of the shadowy sonic territory connecting jazz, hip-hop, and electronic music. Opening strong with urgent strums and ethereal bells in "K," Berridge quickly descends into a tightly packed mélange of beats, breaks, exotic instruments, and punishing bass in "Blood in the Temple" before pulling back and retreating slightly into a fog of despair, tentative hope, and pain brought to sharp and unforgiving light in "Debouch." In Finite is a remarkable album of unsurpassed beauty.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player