Brother Ali Us
If there were any justice in this world, Brother Ali would be a solid contender for the title greatest rapper alive. Working with the same producer (Atmosphere's Ant) for most of his career has bolstered Ali’s already-consistent output, and his latest release, Us, is quality from top to bottom, as Ali vacillates between boastful jabs, message-mongering uppercuts, storytelling segments, and spiritual revelations. Meanwhile, the beats range from uptempo slams and funky, bouncy head-nodders to neo-exotica and retro-gospel. If you’re new to Ali’s flow, best believe it’s one of the most honest, lyrically engaging out there. The guy probably couldn’t make a bad album or spit a wack verse if he tried.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player