Bruno Pronsato Why Can’t We Be Like Us
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Hello?Repeat
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
Over the last few years, Berlin-based producer Bruno Pronsato has issued several leftfield-techno 12s on discerning labels (Telegraph, Perlon, et al) while maintaining rigorous quality control. With this second full-length, Pronsato reaffirms that his music is worth the serious headphone scrutiny one devotes to a Pierre Henry or Eric Dolphy LP. Why Can’t We Be Like Us will also please the world’s more adventurous selectors, but its nine tracks are far from facile DJ tools. Pronsato labored prodigiously over the compositional elements and tones while constructing rhythms that are as labyrinthine as they are danceable. The acute attention to detail and psychedelic properties of the disc’s production elevate it to the rarefied heights of Villalobos’ best work.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player