The Budos Band The Budos Band
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Daptone
On its debut disc, the Staten Island-based Budos Band represents Shaolin with a varied set of funk instrumentals. It‘s a groovy set for damn sure, with timekeeping as tight as a Swiss watch and flowing horns that roll like waves rather than puncturing songs with staccato stabs. Tracks like "Eastbound" bring some Afro-Caribbean rhythms to bear on the band‘s laid-back approach, as a Latin trumpet line softly speaks above the mix. Elsewhere, "Aynotchesh Yererfu" bottoms out with blaring saxophones that nod at Afro-beat. While nothing here shines brightly or makes a case for the band outshining its influences, The Budos Band will get your head-nodding nonetheless.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player