The Budos Band The Budos Band II
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Daptone
On II, The Budos Band doesn't achieve anything remarkably new-not that they need to. The Staten Island crew continues to draw the sweat and dirt from heavy funk, still blowing out music that's as alive today as it would have been 35 years ago. The brassmen sing through lungs seasoned by second-hand smoke from a hundred nightclubs, as best heard in the spy-movie dirges "Ride or Die" and "Scorpion." A great sense of space enriches the tight-fisted Latin groove of "King Cobra" and the interstellar funk voyage of "Mas O Menos." It's referential, but don't call it "retro."
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player