Bunny Striker Lee The Cool Operator
- Words: Andreas Busche
- Label: Smugg
Although it's impossible to cover master Jamaican producer Bunny Lee's whole career on one single CD, the existence of The Cool Operator is justified by the fact that the songs on this compilation were picked by Lee himself. In addition to his famous "flying cymbal" drum patterns, Lee was one of the first producers to re-use his own riddims for different singers. Listening to Johnny Clarke's "Move Outta Babylon" alongside Max Romeo's "Natty Dread Take Over" or Clarke's "No Woman No Cry" versus Derrick Morgan's "Some Women Must Cry" shows how much potential Lee's beautifully layered productions contained. But the comp's absolute highlight is without any doubt the legendary heavyweight slamfest between I-Roy and Prince Jazzbo. Straight to your head, Natty!
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player