Burning Star Core Challenger
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Hospital Productions
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Over a dozen years and a deluge of releases, Cincinnati multi-instrumentalist C. Spencer Yeh (who heads Burning Star Core) has zig-zagged across subterranean strata of noise, drone, avant-rock, and minimalist composition, summoning images of violinist Tony Conrad collaborating with Vibracathedral Orchestra. Challenger finds Yeh at his most compositionally disciplined. Drones still dominate, but they‘re sculpted with a rigor and melodic nuance that recalls Stars of the Lid and William Basinski. For Yeh, refinement doesn‘t equal staidness, rather it accentuates his considerable compositional gifts. Additionally, Yeh‘s keen ear for odd sound sources (warped mouth harp, uninflected uhs, cheetah growls, face slaps) lends surprising textural chiaroscuro and piquant Dada flavor to his eloquent drone poems.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player