Caural Mirrors for Eyes
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Mush
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
With his second full-length, Mirrors for Eyes, Caural (born Zachary Mastoon) doesn't so much propel the glitch-hop format forward as fill in the spaces left behind. It's a quietly rich album, a rusty treasure chest spilling over with broken diamonds and gilded leaves. Over a fairly straightforward boom-bap framework, Caural embroiders his tapestry of undulating harps and flutes, pixie-dusted washes of audio fuzz, and vocoder-filtered angel choruses. Admittedly, cuts like "Re-experience Any Moment You Choose" tailgate Prefuse 73's earlier works a little closely, but they hold a sense of sweetness and wonderment all their own.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player