Cazals What of Our Future
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: The:Hours
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
One might expect a more schizophrenic offering from a band that rolls with Daft Punk, Pete Doherty, and Kanye West, but Kitsune’s new sweethearts Cazals play it straight on their guitar-driven debut full-length, What of Our Future. The London five-piece balances retro-pop melodies reminiscent of XTC with DJ-minded fist-pump breakaways and a gritty garage edge. “To Cut a Long Story Short” is a classic dance-punk number, with vocals that relax from a rough grain into something approaching Elvis Costello. “Comfortable Silence” is darker, featuring opaque synths, high-pitched xylophone, computerized back-up vocals, and bass so low as to be almost inaudible. While these and other tracks stand on their own, they’re especially ripe for remixing.
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsDJ Sprinkles Plans Brief North American Tour
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsRoman Flügel Shares New Track from Upcoming LP
XLR8R Downloads Player