Cazals What of Our Future
- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: The:Hours
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
One might expect a more schizophrenic offering from a band that rolls with Daft Punk, Pete Doherty, and Kanye West, but Kitsune’s new sweethearts Cazals play it straight on their guitar-driven debut full-length, What of Our Future. The London five-piece balances retro-pop melodies reminiscent of XTC with DJ-minded fist-pump breakaways and a gritty garage edge. “To Cut a Long Story Short” is a classic dance-punk number, with vocals that relax from a rough grain into something approaching Elvis Costello. “Comfortable Silence” is darker, featuring opaque synths, high-pitched xylophone, computerized back-up vocals, and bass so low as to be almost inaudible. While these and other tracks stand on their own, they’re especially ripe for remixing.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player