Celebration The Modern Tribe
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: 4AD
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
“They say the world has just begun to tame the savage heart of man,” sings Celebration frontwoman Katrina Ford on the latest disc from her Baltimore-based post-punk group. It’s a line that could just as easily refer to the trio’s music–a remarkably ferocious beast on 2004’s self-titled breakthrough, but a moody, almost sophisticated dialogue between force and poise on The Modern Tribe. Reveling in this duplicity (check the unpredictable “Wild Cats” or the dizzying “Pony”), the band smartly plays to the strong suits of the tempestuous Ford, whose voice leaps from coo to caterwaul with grace and frightening force, making for one of the most beautifully urgent and unabashedly raw albums of the year.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player