Celebration The Modern Tribe
- Words: Robbie Mackey
- Label: 4AD
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
“They say the world has just begun to tame the savage heart of man,” sings Celebration frontwoman Katrina Ford on the latest disc from her Baltimore-based post-punk group. It’s a line that could just as easily refer to the trio’s music–a remarkably ferocious beast on 2004’s self-titled breakthrough, but a moody, almost sophisticated dialogue between force and poise on The Modern Tribe. Reveling in this duplicity (check the unpredictable “Wild Cats” or the dizzying “Pony”), the band smartly plays to the strong suits of the tempestuous Ford, whose voice leaps from coo to caterwaul with grace and frightening force, making for one of the most beautifully urgent and unabashedly raw albums of the year.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player