Charanga Cakewalk Loteria De La Cumbia Lounge
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Triloka
Michael Ramos has played with his share of pop-friendly musicians (including Paul Simon and John Mellencamp), so it‘s unsurprising that his debut solo album, though an original mix of traditional and modern, Mexican and urban, playful and sincere, at least leans toward pop. Based on cumbia-a Colombian folk-music style-Ramos‘ results are new nonetheless, as on the kitschy "Carmela" and standout "Charanga Cakewalk," which excellently blends Spanish guitar, accordion, and piano with synths. Less desperately passionate than the tango, heavier than the airy joy of bossa, the album still brings the substance to satisfy.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsSpectral Sound Announces New EP from Patricia; Hear a Track Now
- MP3Liar "Key Party (Spurz 'Key Bump' Edit)"
- MP3HolloH "Laying Awake"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player