Cheb i Sabbah Devotion
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Six Degrees
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
DJ/producer Cheb i Sabbah is the most recognizable force in America’s contribution to Eastern-inspired electronica: recognizable enough to become a victim of his own success. Sabbah’s trademark sound of Indian and North African classical music restaged within atmospheric dance music has become a cliché. But for Devotion, Cheb i Sabbah heads his critics off at the pass by returning to South Asia, site of his most successful inspirations. His resultant collaborators–devotional singers such as Rana Singh and Anup Jalota–keep Devotion more “global” than “beats,” and in doing so, making it more palatable to both listeners and dancers, who recognize that South Asian rhythms need little enhancement to make the floor shake.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
XLR8R Downloads Player