Chef/Ramadanman Dubstep Allstars: Vol. 7
This double mix CD sorts out the differences—some glaring, others more subtle—of dubstep's multidirectional past, present and future. Disc One finds South London DJ Chef juggling what might be called the scene's "foundation" sound based around clear-cut D&B, jungle, and UK garage influences, leading to a 34-track hardcore maelstrom full of crunch-time wobblers by Benga, Cyrus, Distance, and D1. Ramadanman's mix on Disc Two veers toward funkier, house-inspired territory, with highlights by Hessle Audio labelmates Pangaea, Untold, and Ramadanman himself, not to mention Peverelist, Scuba, and wonky-shoegaze-dub specialists Mount Kimbie, who close the impressive set with the sublime "50 Mile View."
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player