Chicago Underground Trio Slon
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Thrill Jockey
Cornetist Rob Mazurek's Chicago Underground group has assembled a compelling post-bop canon while fluctuating between anything from a duo to an orchestra. The Trio, rounded out by bassist Noel Kupersmith and drummer Chad Taylor, is where he sounds most at home. Mazurek nimbly hops from beat to beat on "Shoe Lace," evoking cornet legend Don Cherry's duels with Billy Higgins. Slon is no musty throwback, though; while the menacing drones of "Kite" protest too much (and leave Mazurek sounding tentative), Taylor's rolling percussion exhibits touches of both jungle and Elvin Jones, and the band's stretches of electronica sound admirably unforced.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player