Chicago Underground Trio Slon
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Thrill Jockey
Cornetist Rob Mazurek's Chicago Underground group has assembled a compelling post-bop canon while fluctuating between anything from a duo to an orchestra. The Trio, rounded out by bassist Noel Kupersmith and drummer Chad Taylor, is where he sounds most at home. Mazurek nimbly hops from beat to beat on "Shoe Lace," evoking cornet legend Don Cherry's duels with Billy Higgins. Slon is no musty throwback, though; while the menacing drones of "Kite" protest too much (and leave Mazurek sounding tentative), Taylor's rolling percussion exhibits touches of both jungle and Elvin Jones, and the band's stretches of electronica sound admirably unforced.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
XLR8R Downloads Player