Chico Sonido Chico Sonido
Cumbia is a hot sound right now, so Chico Sonido could have easily turned out a blogger-friendly album of bass-heavy refixes and cumbia-meets-hip-hop mash-ups. But on his self-titled debut full-length, the Mexican-born producer—who currently resides in Los Angeles—has decided to dig a whole lot deeper, specifically into crates of psychedelic rock, funk, soul, and a myriad of Latin beats. Slow burners like "Antes Que Nadie" and "En Mis Sueños" recall mid-'90s Mo' Wax, but Chico Sonido is much more than an exercise in vintage breaks worship. "Bikinis y Rock" is a wah-wah guitar workout, while "Más Discotheque" and "Loverboy" resuscitate the uptempo party stylings of big beat, albeit with some distinctive Latin flair.
Listen: "Antes Que Nadie"
Download This Track
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsThe Knife Splits, Announces Final Tour Dates
- NewsWarp Confirms Details of Upcoming Aphex Twin LP, Reveals Release Date
- NewsHear the Lead Track from Midland's Upcoming EP for Aus
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player