Chico Sonido Chico Sonido
Cumbia is a hot sound right now, so Chico Sonido could have easily turned out a blogger-friendly album of bass-heavy refixes and cumbia-meets-hip-hop mash-ups. But on his self-titled debut full-length, the Mexican-born producer—who currently resides in Los Angeles—has decided to dig a whole lot deeper, specifically into crates of psychedelic rock, funk, soul, and a myriad of Latin beats. Slow burners like "Antes Que Nadie" and "En Mis Sueños" recall mid-'90s Mo' Wax, but Chico Sonido is much more than an exercise in vintage breaks worship. "Bikinis y Rock" is a wah-wah guitar workout, while "Más Discotheque" and "Loverboy" resuscitate the uptempo party stylings of big beat, albeit with some distinctive Latin flair.
Listen: "Antes Que Nadie"
Download This Track
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player