Chico Sonido Chico Sonido
Cumbia is a hot sound right now, so Chico Sonido could have easily turned out a blogger-friendly album of bass-heavy refixes and cumbia-meets-hip-hop mash-ups. But on his self-titled debut full-length, the Mexican-born producer—who currently resides in Los Angeles—has decided to dig a whole lot deeper, specifically into crates of psychedelic rock, funk, soul, and a myriad of Latin beats. Slow burners like "Antes Que Nadie" and "En Mis Sueños" recall mid-'90s Mo' Wax, but Chico Sonido is much more than an exercise in vintage breaks worship. "Bikinis y Rock" is a wah-wah guitar workout, while "Más Discotheque" and "Loverboy" resuscitate the uptempo party stylings of big beat, albeit with some distinctive Latin flair.
Listen: "Antes Que Nadie"
Download This Track
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player