- Words: Martin Turenne
- Label: Vocab-Good Vibe
With a title this ballsy, sample-shunning Chops's new album better be good-and it is. Bred on a strict diet of Philly soul, the Mountain Brothers' boardsman reaches out to some big names, coaxing energetic verses from Planet Asia on the cartoonish "Niggarachi" and Kanye West on the dainty, piano-dappled "Changing Lines." Indeed, Chops loves his keys, whether employing them as melodic engine or atmospheric accentuation. But when he grips the mic on "U Know Who It Is," the Magnificent Butcher flexes a vocal style far less impressive than his beatmaking skills. Earth to all MCs: enough with the similes!
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player