Chris Herbert Mezzotint
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Kranky
Mezzotint slots snugly into Kranky's mold of meticulously chiseled ambient acts (Loscil, Chihei Hatakeyama, Pan American). Birmingham's Chris Herbert defines himself as a non-musician, and his tweaking of found sounds and field recordings reveals an intuitive grasp of forlorn moods and evocative, gradually evolving textures. The poignancy of a distant airplane-engine drone is a common motif in much beatless music, and Herbert employs the convention well. Within his subtly oscillating tone collages, a gentle struggle between tranquility and turbulence plays out. The result is like being submerged in a sensory deprivation tank while someone introduces nettles into it.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player