Chris Herbert Mezzotint
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Kranky
Mezzotint slots snugly into Kranky's mold of meticulously chiseled ambient acts (Loscil, Chihei Hatakeyama, Pan American). Birmingham's Chris Herbert defines himself as a non-musician, and his tweaking of found sounds and field recordings reveals an intuitive grasp of forlorn moods and evocative, gradually evolving textures. The poignancy of a distant airplane-engine drone is a common motif in much beatless music, and Herbert employs the convention well. Within his subtly oscillating tone collages, a gentle struggle between tranquility and turbulence plays out. The result is like being submerged in a sensory deprivation tank while someone introduces nettles into it.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player