Chris Joss Teraphonic Overdubs
- Words: Stacy Meyn
- Label: ESL Music
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
For those moments when you just have to sport a wide-lapelled, caramel-leather jacket, fringed bellbottoms, and stacked platforms, French producer Chris Joss has the requisite soundtrack. Lalo Schifrin-loving Joss leans on both the psyche-funky De Wolfe Music Library of the ’60s and ’70s and black cinema’s wokka-chikka sounds on his fourth full-length release. Yet he’s not merely a harvester–despite nearly losing his right arm in 2006, he’s responsible for all of the disc’s instruments, live and otherwise. Strains of organ, wah-wah guitar, flute, and faux sitar burble about Joss’ cheesy strings and punched-in background vocals. More atypical is Joss’ penchant for unusual time signatures, modded out with the occasional harpsichord or marimba. While Teraphonic Overdubs gears up in spots, you’ll be riding on a mostly mellow grooveline.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player