Christopher Bissonnette In Between Words
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Kranky
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
Now that we’re 40 years past LaMonte Young, 30 past Brian Eno, and more than 10 past Christian Fennesz, it’s hard to imagine what’s left to do in the world of ambient. And yet Christopher Bissonnette’s second CD touches the soul and tugs at the heartstrings in ways that are both familiar and different than his first records. Tracks like “Provenance” and “The Colonnade” sound wrapped in gauze while the muffled bells on “Tempest” border on sinister and somehow manage to be sublime. The whole thing cries out for your attention in a way that ambient isn’t supposed to–making this a more challenging and wonderful album because of it.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player