Circlesquare Pre-Earthquake Anthem
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Output
Vancouver's March 21 (Jeremy Shaw) ought to call himself Methodical Man. His debut album is as stark as North Dakota's plains and as coldly calculated as Alfred Hitchcock. Circlesquare liberally uses slide-guitar sighs; typically these evoke vast, open spaces, but on Pre-Earthquake Anthem they cannot dissipate the tracks' claustrophobic creepiness. He unspools hypnotic, repetitive grooves featuring near-catatonic vocals, distorted bass oscillations and rimshots that tick like time bombs. Homages/allusions to David Essex, Ry Cooder, Fripp/Eno and Faust sweeten Circlesquare's musical molasses. If you dig the more static excursions by Tricky or Labradford, you'll enjoy Circlesquare's anomic, minimalist mantras.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player