Clara Hill Clara Hill's Folkwaves: Sideways
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Sonar Kollektiv
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
The latest effort by Berlin-based Clara Hill attempts to show a different side of her laid back, soulful repertoire: acoustic, folk-based orchestral sounds. While it does not diverge much from her usual blend of R&B-inspired tracks, there is plenty to dive into and discover. Her long-standing relationship with Jazzanova is stamped all over these 10 songs, for better and worse: The scratchy textures and crisp guitar on “Sad Girl” is a great modern throwback, while the lilting orchestra of “Everything” is simply too grandiose and presumptive to make an impact. Fortunately her voice is diverse and interesting enough to create a consistent and refreshing vibe to her new experiment in future folk.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player