Cline/Giffoni/Licht/Ranaldo Nothing Makes Any Sense
- Words: Scott Thill
- Label: No Fun
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
If you know the guitarists Nels Cline, Lee Ranaldo, and Alan Licht at all, or are familiar with analog tweaker Carlos Giffoni, then you already know they played a show in NYC and birthed this experimental exercise in axe drone. Nearly an hour of sonic exploration, Nothing Makes Any Sense might make those who don't like post-everything or guitars want to destroy the speakers with jackhammers, but they'd be in good company with Ranaldo, Cline, et. al. These esteemed sound-fuckers from the orbit of Sonic Youth, Wilco, and others are cool with deconstruction: They know it's just construction in reverse. Their zero-track orchestral opus is filled with static storms, dialed-in feedback, and amps that sound as though they might turn into super-massive black holes at any moment. For experienced travelers only.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player