Clipd Beaks Hoarse Lords
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Lovepump United
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
“Death disco” is a sorely overused term, but Clipd Beaks embodies it from head to toe on Hoarse Lords. Throughout the disc, the Oakland noise-rock band’s rhythm section staggers across a mirrorball-glittered dancefloor as singer Nic Barbel wails his life away. It’s the sound of a basement party band trying to stand up after everybody else has passed out or gone home. Here and there, the Beaks add psychedelic touches that achieve a strange grace. They cut off the racket of “Wrathscapes” and ascend into outer space through peaceful, AOR-tempered guitar riffs, but Barbel’s strangled vocals tend to resemble a whine of broken amps, which can interfere with the band’s otherwise prime, art-damaged jams.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player