Clipd Beaks Hoarse Lords
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Lovepump United
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
“Death disco” is a sorely overused term, but Clipd Beaks embodies it from head to toe on Hoarse Lords. Throughout the disc, the Oakland noise-rock band’s rhythm section staggers across a mirrorball-glittered dancefloor as singer Nic Barbel wails his life away. It’s the sound of a basement party band trying to stand up after everybody else has passed out or gone home. Here and there, the Beaks add psychedelic touches that achieve a strange grace. They cut off the racket of “Wrathscapes” and ascend into outer space through peaceful, AOR-tempered guitar riffs, but Barbel’s strangled vocals tend to resemble a whine of broken amps, which can interfere with the band’s otherwise prime, art-damaged jams.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player