Clipd Beaks Hoarse Lords
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Lovepump United
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
“Death disco” is a sorely overused term, but Clipd Beaks embodies it from head to toe on Hoarse Lords. Throughout the disc, the Oakland noise-rock band’s rhythm section staggers across a mirrorball-glittered dancefloor as singer Nic Barbel wails his life away. It’s the sound of a basement party band trying to stand up after everybody else has passed out or gone home. Here and there, the Beaks add psychedelic touches that achieve a strange grace. They cut off the racket of “Wrathscapes” and ascend into outer space through peaceful, AOR-tempered guitar riffs, but Barbel’s strangled vocals tend to resemble a whine of broken amps, which can interfere with the band’s otherwise prime, art-damaged jams.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player