Clive Tanaka Jet Set Siempre No. 1
Remember tracking Italo-disco producers across cryptic initials on LP jackets? Or trying to figure out which Skam Records releases were by Autechre or Boards of Canada? The pre-Wikipedia era shrouded many new records in a gentle fog of mystery, and Japan's Clive Tanaka is bringing a bit of that mystery back with Jet Set Siempre No. 1. Previously available only as a cassette that could be ordered directly from his website, the album is now available on vinyl and digitally, but there's still precious little info here beyond Tanaka's name, a beachy little cover graphic, and sides a and b designated "For Dance" and "For Romance," respectively.
Even more mysterious: "Su Orquesta" sounds more like Tanaka's vintage synthesizers, vocoder, and laptop (there's no Latin band here), and both sides contain lush, inviting retro electro-pop tracks executed with such style that he's the equal of any '80s pop fetishist working today. "I Want You (So Bad)" is a master class in warm pop melody, passing the torch between synthesizer, understated guitar, and more, as it piles layers of sound into a delicious cake and uses its only lyrics—a vocodered recitation of the title—to create a catchy hook with a Daft Punk-like ease and efficiency.
The flip side of Jet Set drifts away into an easy fog, floating compressed strings over narcotic beats, conjuring a Mediterranean getaway soundtracked by bright township guitars and analog synthesizer washes recorded on an ancient reel-to-reel. More of all of this please, mysterious Mr. Tanaka!
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player